We recently came across a very informative and insightful article from Capacity Media. The full article is uploaded and linked to below, but we’ve extracted a few key takeaways first:
- Equinix’s latest Global Interconnection Index (GXI) predicts private connectivity at the edge will grow by 51% CAGR and exceed a total bandwidth capacity of more than 13,300Tbps, equivalent to 53ZB of data exchanged annually.
- Interconnection bandwidth is expected to outpace the growth of Internet and MPLS Traffic
- To put it in perspective, 13,300 Tbps in one minute could concurrently process 45M self driving cars!
- London to account for 34% of European data traffic by 2022
- The Top 3 industries leading the interconnection bandwidth growth are: Telecommunications, Cloud & IT Services and Banking & Insurance.